Local Government Legal Update 2016
Available to: Full members
Date of recording: 10th April 2016
Running time: 43 minutes
Speaker: Richard Clyton QC, 4-5 Grays Inn Square
Recorded in April 2016, leading barrister Richard Clayton QC outlines and analyses the key local government cases of the preceding 12 months across a range of disciplines. Includes a comprehensive downloadable paper.
- Ordinary residence.
- Calculation of contribution to care home fees.
- Care home fees - what is nursing work.
- Best interests - can court of appeal compel an authority to provide a care package that the LA did not want to provide?
- SEN and legitimate expectation.
- P56, discrimination and budget cuts. Free transport for church school pupils.
- Planning and adverse effect on a town centre of out-of-town shopping centre.
- The obligation of councils to defend JR claims.
- When are EIAs required?
- Homelessness, and out of borough accommodation.
- Hotak and priority needs.
- Housing Benefit and the benefit cap.
- Consultation and cuts – Moseley.
- Duty to re-consult.
- The need to provide reasons for decisions.
- Standard of review - does proportionality replace Wednesday principles for JR cases absent HR or EU cases?
- Appeals against stays.
- Procurement and the public interest.
- Contractual variations and the new public procurement rules.
- Terminating contracts.
Return to webinar list